Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Monologues!


When Kiya asked me if I had any ideas on a Monologue she could learn for school I immediately thought of my schooldays and how we had to learn great bits of Shakespeare off by heart!! "Friends, Romans and Countrymen, lend me your ears, I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him. The evil that men do lives after them, the good is oft interred with their bones. So let it be with Caesar, for Caesar was an honourable man, so are they all, all honourable men etc. etc.

Then there was 'All the Worlds a stage, and all the men and women merely players. They have their exits and their entrances, and one man in his time plays many parts" from The Seven Stages of Man, "As you like it' (I think or it could be Much Ado About Nothing)

Well the upshot of all this was that she chose the latter, and when I went to the internet to download all the words I realised how difficult it was, and thought immediately that she would never be able to manage a minute of that (they have a minute to do it in.) Then I suggested Christopher Robin 'James James Morrison Morrison, Weatherly George Dupree, don't go down to the end of the town, unless you go down with me!!!

However, she still chose the Shakespeare one, and surprise surprise, tonight on our way to choir she recited the first four stages - infant, schoolboy, lover and soldier - almost word perfect and is prepared to learn the rest of it by Friday, so there you go, never underestimate your granddaughters capabilities!!

No comments: