Sunday, April 1, 2012

Today I met a lovely old lady!

Her name is Yvonne Cameron and she is ninety years young! She and her husband had this house built just over 20 years ago. They chose the land for the view and there were hardly any other homes around here then.

How did I meet her? and Why? I met her because our Community Garden was asked by the local OPH to bring some vegetables to sell at their mini-market this afternoon and I went along to help man the stall. I knew Mrs Cameron was in that Facility and asked if they thought (the staff) there was any likelihood she would remember where the Stopcock (to turn the water off) was! We have been having a problem locating said stopcock and until we find it Tim can't finish the tiling in the laundry and we will need it when we have our new kitchen installed. The staff assured me that she WOULD remember and I went to her room to ask her.

She was thrilled to know that we had bought her house, and even more pleased when I congratulated her on the choice of apple trees she and her husband had planted in the garden. Then we talked of the garden and she told me the beautiful rose by the door which has been blooming all the time we have known the house is called 'Apricot Nectar' and the one I photographed only the other day, photo below, is called 'Peace'

We went on to talk of the position of the stopcock and told me my immediate neighbour, Ann, might know as she had helped Mrs. Cameron when she had sprung a leak. More amazingly, she went to her Address Book and gave me the name and tel. no. of her Plumber so now maybe at last we may be able to find the blessed Stopcock!!!

1 comment:

Heidi said...

How amazing! I do hope you will finally locate the stopcock so that Tim can go ahead.