Wednesday, December 5, 2012

First Tuesday book club.

Last night on TV was the result of the Nationwide survey on the top ten Aussie books you should read before you die! I still have a bit of time as there were a couple I had never even heard of (mind you I do not class myself as a literary officionardo) (doesn't like my spelling but is not offering a replacement) but The Power of One was No 2 and no 1 was Cloud Street, which I did try but am not a Tim Winton fan. After all they said about it maybe I will give it another go. One that did get a mention though was A Fortunate Life by ? Facey which was the first Aussie book we both read when we had put in our application to come to Australia. After reading it it was a wonder we went ahead with it, but seriously it was an interesting book written by a very unassuming man who had had a very difficult life but had overcome many obstacles and came out the other end with a tale to tell!

Another windy day ahead, still chilly cos of the wind chill factor (a pommie expression which we don't hear here) but up to the high twenties again for Friday.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

What do you mean by "chilly"? We are at minus 5° with snow flurries!
As for the Aussie books, Bryce Courtenay of course; Tim Winton is not my all time favourite either. But I wonder they didn't mention Richard Flanagan. Tried Facey on Amazon, but there are many of themm
so I suppose it is A.B. Facey. Is it worth reading?